Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Proper Tools

Have you ever worked in a kitchen that was outfitted with everything you needed? Or built something in a shop with all of the chisels, saws, sanders, etc. in good working order? Then you know the benefit of having the proper tools at hand. I am very particular about the art supplies and craft items I will carry in the store because I feel very strongly about providing children with the best tools. Especially children. Sometimes we think we can get by with giving our kids mediocre supplies because they are just starting, or wasteful, or whatever, when really at that stage we should be giving them the best tools we can to encourage them, to make it as easy as possible to succeed. In this picture, my children are doing art work on our front porch with chalk pastels. The colors are so vibrant and the pigments so dense that they can draw anything they want in detail. We've done the porch twice now, and then we spray it with a sealant and it stays for a few years. We carry the Faber Castell blue line of art supplies because I like the quality of the supplies. The kids can create real pieces of art without the art supplies getting in the way. Wherever you pick up your art supplies, make sure they are good enough quality to help your children succeed. You wouldn't put your track star in flip flops, don't supply your young artists with Rose Art.

1 comment:

JohannSF said...

Very true. It's too common for people to choose shoddy materials because they think kids can't tell the difference. If I think back, I can remember when I had a good drawing set, a real bow and arrow, a real compass. I knew the difference, and I think all kids do.