Saturday, July 11, 2009



Every community worth its weight in salt has a home town festival. Here in McMinnville, ours is duhn duhn duhn.... (((((Turkey....Rama))))) That's announcer voice amplification on the sides there. How treats is that? Could it get any better in a bad kind of way? Or worse in a good kind of way? To make a very long story very short, this used to be turkey country, now the only turkeys left are the humans. But, we still have Turkey Rama. We have a biggest Turkey contest, in which I did once compete. I won't tell you what I did for my talent routine because every turkey contest is aired on public access for the whole next year and You Tube is a vicious vicious machine. I did not win the biggest turkey prize, but we raised a ton of money for Hospice. What else do we have? We have a huge turkey barbecue, and of course a street fair with lots and lots of sidewalk sales in which hopscotch does participate. We were on the main drag of the festival until last year when we moved a few blocks away, so this year I had a tent sale in front of the store. Much better. Great way to get rid of stuff I just don't love anymore. We have one more day of that left, and I can't tell you that I'm not looking forward to the weekend being over. It's a lot of work, but it's a great time to see all kinds of people that you only see once or twice a year, hang out on the street and watch the whole community go by, and eat the annual elephant ear from the soroptomists booth. Well, I'm due to volunteer helping kids in and out of the bouncy castle now, so I better get back down there.

No comments: