Friday, July 24, 2009

Pinkies Up


Tea time has always held a certain magic for my children and me. Perhaps it's the decadence associated with a long break mid afternoon. On breezy spring days it means laying out on a blanket in the shade of a tree with a book, a plate of cookies, some light herbal teas and our conversation. During the winter months, tea gives us a cozy break in the form of red tea for the younger children and black tea for me and the older two. Books, knitting, felting, and other hand crafts coupled with long conversations complete our recipe for reprieve. I'm generally a go go mama for whom "just a minute's" and "be there in a sec's" fall all too readily from the lips. But tea gives me something to center my vast energies around and quiet into. I can sit and hold, rub and pat, talk and laugh,and just BE with my children without looking forward at my agenda. Tea is the agenda. My children are the agenda. Something that can bring a flighty girl like myself so deeply into the moment has just got to be magic.

No comments: