Sunday, July 19, 2009

McMinnville Education Foundation Starry Night

Last night was the annual fund raising event for the McMinnville Education Foundation. It's a wonderful dinner, auction, wine, art and music event put on each year at Stoller Vineyards outside of Dundee. The McMinnville Education Foundation is comprised of individuals who are dedicated to encouraging excellence in our public school system. They accomplish this by funding a series of programs designed to compliment the education of students. Grants, Artists in residency programs, and the opportunity to work with the Linfield chamber Orchestra are among the opportunities funded by the MEF. Events like these are always full of the usual suspects. People that are active and volunteer for everything. The thing that is striking to me about this event in particular is the number of people out to support the McMinnville Schools that don't have children of school age, send their children to private school, or could afford to send their children to private school but choose instead to be active in creating a strong public school system. It is very impressive to me. My children have always been home schooled, though Devon is in high school now, but I see a thriving public school system as the best hope for our future as a society. I contribute financially at fund raisers and always vote in favor of measures that give more funding to schools, but even with that I have felt guilt at not giving the school system the thing they need most. My children. Children that are being raised conscientiously. Children that will contribute to the overall health and integrity of a classroom. Also, I have given myself and my talents and energy exclusively to my children and the children that end up in my house and my shop. I have not been in the school system making the difference that I know I could make. I hear all kinds of theories on why our children are failing to thrive in our school systems. Theories that range from lack of funding to apathetic unrewarded teachers to no child left behind and teaching to the test. All contribute in some part I think, but the most important part of any education is parental responsibility. We can not check our children at the door of the schoolhouse and expect the teachers to raise them. They need to be prepared, well fed, respectful of themselves and others. They need to have habits of hygiene that will not distract others. They need to know how to treat others well before they hit the classroom. Too many of our children are being warehoused in their formative years when they need to be nurtured and prepared. Funding helps. Passionate teachers are invaluable. Robust art, music and literature programs are a must. But none of it has the impact that dedicated parents and well prepared students can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The McMinnville Education Foundation is related with who are dedicated to encouraging excellence in our public school system.
nyght
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5637141004169477570&postID=8904991544314286673&page=1