Friday, June 26, 2009

Transformers Revenge of the Fallen

I admit, my testosterone levels are significantly lower than they should be for a true appreciation of the finer points of this "film". But I really have not felt so insulted by a movie in a long long time. I enjoyed the first Transformer movie. It does not have to be a monumental work of art for me to appreciate the pure escapist entertainment value of an action flick. Revenge of the Fallen followed such a contrived formula of shoot or blow up everything on the screen, place as many marketable pieces of merch as possible, hot girls doing ridiculous poses on motorcycles, and schmarmy pablum theme music that I think I would have been doubly offended if I was a man. The girls are amazing. Really, but you can get that in a calender. The plot was predictable which is fine for a children's movie, but the way they are selling this movie with violence, sex, and dry humping leads me to think the audience they are going for is older if not more sophisticated than the five year old set who would be awed by the plot and effects. Hasbro also has the GI Joe movie coming up which I was interested to see, but based on Revenge of the Fallen I think I'll pass. And now they are working on a Monopoly movie? Really?

No comments: