Sunday, February 28, 2010

Brainy baby or Overstimulated?


Let me start by saying that we don't have television. We do watch movies with our kids, but we have not had a television subscription the whole time we have been raising children. Nearly 19 years now. There was that one time we signed up so my husband could watch the world cup in the comfort of his own home, but we couldn't wait for that 18 month subscription to be over. Just too much noise! Too much monitoring. Too much fear mongering. Give me my rose colored glasses and get the glowing box out of my house!
At Toy Fair I met a really nice woman who worked at Brainy Baby. She was very excited because a new study was just published that shows that Brainy Baby DVD's help toddlers learn and remember. This was huge for them because the whole industry had been given a black eye by an earlier study that stated the opposite about the Baby Einstein series. I smiled and nodded as she told me how great the findings were, how the products of the company revolutionized early learning. I truly sympathized with the difficult position their company must be in since that Baby Einsteins study seemed to be everywhere. But, nice as she is, I just don't buy it. I mean, I believe that the DVD's do teach children. I've not met a child yet who isn't learning constantly. I just don't believe that putting your child in front of a screen is optimal. I believe in snuggling them on your lap with a book that contains the information you want them to learn, looking at pictures, pointing to them, saying the names. I believe that crawling on the floor playing with good open ended toys will teach them so much more, build a bonded relationship between parent and child, and mellow everyone out. The flashing lights, sounds, and images on a television screen may hold a child's attention, but so will a war scene. Doesn't mean that level of stimulation is appropriate. I'm still thinking this one through, because I know all about the multiple demands on a parents time, and being able to farm some of the basics off on a machine is tantalizing. At first take though, I feel like it's just lazy parenting. We don't have kids to plop them in front of a screen. We have them to share with, to play with, to build relationships with. I think I'd rather have a not so brainy baby who felt good in their own skin and bonded to the people they love.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know... I think you are missing the whole point. First of all, Brainy Baby is great company with great products. If you own a retail store, you should support vendors like Brainy Baby or soon you won't have any specialty products on your shelf... and good luck competing with Wal-mart.

More importantly, Brainy Baby is not saying you need to feed your kid DVDs 24/7. I have Brainy DVDs in my home. Have you ever READ their Parent Guide that comes packed inside every DVD? It clearly states, "turn off the TV and use DVD products in balance as you would any OTHER learning tool". As a store owner, it would do you good to know about products before you comment on them. Also, if you look at the Brainy web site, you will find that maybe only 20% of their products are DVDs. The rest is good quality books, flashcards, etc. I think you are incorrectly judging these guys.

Regarding Brainy Baby being excited about their new study, I buy it 100% and they should be excited. Look, I am a long time user of these types of products and I have smart, healthy kids. Let me break it down for you. Baby Einstein = BAD; Brainy Baby = GOOD.

There is a clear difference between these products. One works (scientifically proven), and one does not. That "study" that you refer to that gave the industry a black eye, was a total sham (see www.junkscience.com)

There has clearly been a hidden agenda out there for years and it has been supported by wacko organizations and a willing media. The truth is these products DO work, but I don't know a single parent that locks their kid in a room with the DVD player going all day long. I wouldn't let them read books all day long either. What's the difference? We are all too quick to jump on "DVDs are bad" bandwagon when none of us knows all the facts. You may choose not to use DVDs in your home, which is fine, I think you are missing a valuable opportunity with your child, but that is your business.

Instinctively and first hand evidence shows us that DVDs teach and no parent in their right mind pushes their child too hard or cuts off cuddle time or playing with a cardboard box.

Personally, I am offended that you would attack a great company like Brainy Baby or even criticize them. We should be thanking them for creating great products for our kids and even happier that they did the responsible thing by having their products tested and peer reviewed by a quality University.

hopscotch toys 103 SE Baker st said...

I wasn't bashing Brainy Baby. I said nothing against them as a company, or their entire product line. I questioned the practice of having very young children educated by DVD's. Not even whether or not it works, but whether or not it's optimal.I admitted in the first sentence that I don't have television in my home so that my readers can see that clearly I have a bias. Just throwing it out there.