Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Nudity and button eyes

My family went the movie theater this evening to see Coraline. My eldest son Devon is a student at the Media Arts and Communications Academy here in McMinnville, and one of his classes had recently toured the studio in Portland where it was produced. My husband is a long time fan of Neil Gaiman's graphic novels, and the kids and I have read the book out loud a couple of times and individually as well.
It (the book) is a work of art. It crawls into your psyche, and you don't know exactly how it got there. Maybe it's the skittering of fingernails across the floor in the middle of the night, maybe it's the rats, or the button eyes, or the impostor world where nothing is what it seems. Like a colorful molten ganasche poured over a putrid moldering cake. Delicious.
Before we went I pulled up some reviews on line and sat there with my kiddo's reading them. "Not a kids production" the reviewer shouted. "Pastie tassles! ....Nudity!" We were all amazed at how much of this we had to wade through before we could get to a review based on the merit of the film production. Was it good? Was it true to the book? What mediums did they use to tell the story? These are the things that interested us.
My children are 11, 13, and 17. Older. I would not recommend this movie to a child younger than 8 unless they had a particularly sophisticated understanding of the difference between reality and fantasy and were able to get good and scared and still sleep at night. The reason I would not recommend this film to some tenderhearted young thing has nothing to do with pasties. It has to do with the fact that the mother has button eyes! She wants to give Coraline button eyes! This is made really clear in every trailer. Knowing this, I just don't understand the trouble with nudity. I'd rather my child see full frontal nudity than a scene where someone is being demeaned, or used, or I'll stop there because I know this topic has been blah, blah, blogged to death. Just my .02 as we ran up upon it tonight. We did all go in spite of the warnings. Coraline was great. This from a book loving family who LOVED the book. Film is wonderful, but it is sorely limited, mainly because a book takes many hours to unfold and a movie only gets a couple. So, some of the suspense was missing. The movie wasn't nearly as creepy as the book. There was a geriatric overweight claymation bare midriff frenzy in the theater scene, but that won't have the kids losing sleep. It is creepy though. Heebie-jeebies creepy. Button eyes creepy, and as fantastic as a parallel existence.

No comments: